Should RCU_BOOST kernels use hrtimers in GP kthread?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Tue Feb 16 2021 - 13:37:00 EST

Hello, Sebastian,

I punted on this for the moment by making RCU priority boosting testing
depend on CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, but longer term I am wondering if RCU's
various timed delays and timeouts should use hrtimers rather than normal
timers in kernels built with CONFIG_RCU_BOOST. As it is, RCU priority
boosting can be defeated if any of the RCU grace-period kthread's timeouts
are serviced by the non-realtime ksoftirqd.

This might require things like swait_event_idle_hrtimeout_exclusive(),
either as primitives or just open coded.

Thoughts?

Thanx, Paul