Re: [GIT PULL] x86/urgent for v5.11-rc7

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sun Feb 07 2021 - 13:32:37 EST

> On Feb 7, 2021, at 10:19 AM, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 2/7/21 9:58 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
>>> So this is clearly the right thing to do for now, but I wonder if
>>> people have a plan for actually enabling CET and endbr at cpl0 at some
>>> point?
>> It probably is an item on some Intel manager's to-enable list. So far,
>> the CET enablement concentrates only on userspace but dhansen might know
>> more about future plans. CCed.
>
> It's definitely on our radar to look at after CET userspace.
>
> The only question for me is whether it will be worth doing with the
> exiting kernel entry/exit architecture.

I assume you mean: is anyone sufficiently inspired to try to handle NMI correctly? I have a whole pile of nacks saved up for incorrect implementations, although I will try to wrap them in polite explanations of precisely what is wrong :)

(I’ve contemplated doing this myself, and it doesn’t sound fun at all.)