Re: Alternative compilers to GCC/Clang

From: Michael Matz
Date: Tue Feb 02 2021 - 18:22:06 EST

Hello,

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> + Micha.

Huh, someone found my video ;-)

A _current_ kernel maybe :) Some 4.6 x86-64 kernel in qemu in a certain
config plus a little patches definitely does work. Slowly, but usable.
See the repo Boris mentioned.

> > > Maybe this'll help you find something to do:
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU0Z0vBKrtQ
> > >
> > > Yes, it would be lovely to be able to compile the kernel with tcc but it
> > > is not going to be trivial.

As tcc is so simple it's actually not too much hassle, the biggest
roadblocks should be gone; the usage of inline asm in the kernel is ...
creative ... and hence the single pass nature of TCC and the C-asm
integration pose some challenges ;) Also anything that requires inlining
to remove dead but non-conforming code (like calling undefined functions)
needs an alternative like macros expanding to zero, instead of a function
returning zero. (I even have an limited inliner for tcc, but I didn't
like it too much)

(My interest was tcc, not kernel development, which is why I never did
anything with that 4.6 kernel, I wanted to retain a stable and big known
source base for tcc hackery. If someone is interested in kernel compiling
that can change the picture of course; I think I at least remember most of
the reasons for the kernel patches I had to do to make my tcc hackery
easier :) ).

> It would be good to start forward-porting and integrating some of the
> fixes and even extend tcc to handle some of the gnuisms we're using in
> the kernel so that we can build the kernel with it too.
>
> I can imagine having CONFIG_TCC - as long as that doesn't get too
> intrusive and get in the way of things - and those who wanna build the
> kernel with it, can enable it. For example...

Ciao,
Michael.