Re: [RFC 15/20] mm: detect deferred TLB flushes in vma granularity

From: Nadav Amit
Date: Mon Feb 01 2021 - 17:07:08 EST

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> From: Nadav Amit <namit@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Currently, deferred TLB flushes are detected in the mm granularity: if
> there is any deferred TLB flush in the entire address space due to NUMA
> migration, pte_accessible() in x86 would return true, and
> ptep_clear_flush() would require a TLB flush. This would happen even if
> the PTE resides in a completely different vma.

[ snip ]

> +static inline void read_defer_tlb_flush_gen(struct mmu_gather *tlb)
> +{
> + struct mm_struct *mm = tlb->mm;
> + u64 mm_gen;
> +
> + /*
> + * Any change of PTE before calling __track_deferred_tlb_flush() must be
> + * performed using RMW atomic operation that provides a memory barriers,
> + * such as ptep_modify_prot_start(). The barrier ensure the PTEs are
> + * written before the current generation is read, synchronizing
> + * (implicitly) with flush_tlb_mm_range().
> + */
> + smp_mb__after_atomic();
> +
> + mm_gen = atomic64_read(&mm->tlb_gen);
> +
> + /*
> + * This condition checks for both first deferred TLB flush and for other
> + * TLB pending or executed TLB flushes after the last table that we
> + * updated. In the latter case, we are going to skip a generation, which
> + * would lead to a full TLB flush. This should therefore not cause
> + * correctness issues, and should not induce overheads, since anyhow in
> + * TLB storms it is better to perform full TLB flush.
> + */
> + if (mm_gen != tlb->defer_gen) {
> + VM_BUG_ON(mm_gen < tlb->defer_gen);
> +
> + tlb->defer_gen = inc_mm_tlb_gen(mm);
> + }
> +}

Andy’s comments managed to make me realize this code is wrong. We must
call inc_mm_tlb_gen(mm) every time.

Otherwise, a CPU that saw the old tlb_gen and updated it in its local
cpu_tlbstate on a context-switch. If the process was not running when the
TLB flush was issued, no IPI will be sent to the CPU. Therefore, later
switch_mm_irqs_off() back to the process will not flush the local TLB.

I need to think if there is a better solution. Multiple calls to
inc_mm_tlb_gen() during deferred flushes would trigger a full TLB flush
instead of one that is specific to the ranges, once the flush actually takes
place. On x86 it’s practically a non-issue, since anyhow any update of more
than 33-entries or so would cause a full TLB flush, but this is still ugly.