Re: [EXT] Re: Related work to MAINTAINERS truth and fiction

From: Wolfgang Mauerer
Date: Fri Jan 15 2021 - 12:46:25 EST

Am 15/01/2021 um 17:52 schrieb Jonathan Corbet:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:57:51 +0100
> Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Pia Eichinger has done some related analysis and work in this area as
>> part of her bachelor's thesis on Maintainers Expectations vs.
>> Maintainers Reality: An Analysis of Organisational and Maintenance
>> Structure of the Linux Kernel. Simply quoting her conclusion:
>>
>> "We showed that around 20% of all patches were theoretically wrongly
>> integrated when strictly analysing MAINTAINERS. The reality of
>> integration and maintenance structure is more complicated than that,
>> which we also explored. Furthermore, we identified 12 major subsystems
>> of the Linux kernel. This is very helpful for an overview of the
>> organisational structure, realistic grouping of subsystems and further
>> Linux kernel topology discussions."
>>
>> Announcement and thesis here:
>> https://lists.elisa.tech/g/devel/message/1269
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ta2YxgEzEfrIcmWid8kwIyVEywbUjbA/view?usp=sharing
>
> Interesting, I was completely unaware of this work. I blame Wolfgang, who
> should have pointed it out to me :)

well, I do accept .8 of the blame. For the remaining .2, I have to
say that with a little time travel in forward direction (especially
since we're not doing isochronous spatial travel any more!), you could
have easily seen Pia's presentation at LCA in a week or so :)

Actually, I was planning on pitching the results to you for lwn; if you
find there are some aspects left in the work that you have not covered
yet, and that's interesting for the community, we'd of course be happy
to contribute a short piece. Pia will post a repo link for the analysis
soon.

Thanks, Wolfgang