Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Jan 14 2021 - 11:15:13 EST

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:51:17PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:

> On 1/14/21 4:17 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> >> Hi Greg,
> >>
> >> this is for an architecture specific but global i.e. not device bound PCI
> >> attribute. That's why DEVICE_ATTR_* does not work. BUS_ATTR_* would work
> >> but only if we place the attribute directly under /sys/bus/pci/new_attr.
> >
> > Then you are doing something wrong :)
>
> That is very possible.
>

> > Where _exactly_ are you wanting to put this attribute?
>
> I'm trying for /sys/bus/pci/zpci/uid_checking, I'm using
> the below code and the attribute even shows up but reading
> it gives me two 0 bytes only.
> The relevant code is only a slight alteration of the original patch
> as follows:
>
> static ssize_t uid_checking_show(struct bus_type *bus, char *buf)
> {
> return sprintf(buf, "%i\n", zpci_unique_uid);
> }
> static BUS_ATTR_RO(uid_checking);
>
> static struct kset *zpci_global_kset;
>
> static struct attribute *zpci_attrs_global[] = {
> &bus_attr_uid_checking.attr,
> NULL,
> };
>
> static struct attribute_group zpci_attr_group_global = {
> .attrs = zpci_attrs_global,
> };

Name your attribute group, and then you do not have to mess with a
"raw" kobject like you are below:

> int __init zpci_sysfs_init(void)
> {
> struct kset *pci_bus_kset;
>
> pci_bus_kset = bus_get_kset(&pci_bus_type);
>
> zpci_global_kset = kset_create_and_add("zpci", NULL, &pci_bus_kset->kobj);

No, do not mess with at kset, just set the default attribute group for
the bus to the above, and you should be fine.

> if (!zpci_global_kset)
> return -ENOMEM;
>
> return sysfs_create_group(&zpci_global_kset->kobj, &zpci_attr_group_global);

Huge hint, if in a driver, or bus subsystem, and you call sysfs_*,
that's usually a huge clue that you are doing something wrong.

Try the above again, with a simple attribute group, and name for it, and
it should "just work".

thanks,

greg k-h