Re: Aarch64 EXT4FS inode checksum failures - seems to be weak memory ordering issues

From: Lukas Wunner
Date: Tue Jan 12 2021 - 08:21:41 EST

On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 12:02:53PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I appreciate Arnd pointing out "--std=gnu11", though. What are the
> actual relevant language improvements?
>
> Variable declarations in for-loops is the only one I can think of. I
> think that would clean up some code (and some macros), but might not
> be compelling on its own.

Anonymous structs/unions. I used to have a use case for that in
struct efi_dev_path in include/linux/efi.h, but Ard Biesheuvel
refactored it in a gnu89-compatible way for v5.7 with db8952e7094f.

[The above was copy-pasted from last time this discussion came up
in July 2020. Back then, Kirill Shutemov likewise mentioned the
local variables in loops feature:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200710111724.m4jaci73pykalxys@xxxxxxxxx/
]

Thanks,