Re: kernel BUG at mm/page-writeback.c:LINE!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 05 2021 - 16:23:55 EST

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was going to raise a question, whether you should now revert
> 073861ed77b6 ("mm: fix VM_BUG_ON(PageTail) and BUG_ON(PageWriteback)"):
> which would not have gone in like that if c2407cf7d22d were already in.

Honestly, even if it wasn't for that PageTail issue, I think
073861ed77b6 is just the right thing to do anyway. It just feels _so_
much safer to not have the possibility of that page wait thing
following while the page is possibly then being free'd and re-used at
the same time.

So I think the only reason to revert that commit would be if we were
to find that it's a huge performance problem to raise the page
refcount temporarily. Which I think is very unlikely (since we already
dirty the page structure due to the page flags modification - although
they are far enough apart that it might be a different cacheline).

Linus