Re: k10temp: ZEN3 readings are broken

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Dec 22 2020 - 01:17:15 EST

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 05:33:17AM +0100, Gabriel C wrote:
[ ... ]
> At least is what the weird amd_energy driver added and since is only supporting
> fam 17h model 0x31 which is TR 3000 & SP3 Rome, I guess fam 19h 0x1 is
> TR/SP3 ZEN3.

The limited model support is because people nowadays are not willing to
accept that reported values may not always be perfect ... and the reported
energy for non-server parts is known to be not always perfect. Kind of an
odd situation: If we support non-server parts, we have people complain
that values are not perfect. If we only support server parts, we have
people complain that only server parts are supported. For us, that is
a lose-lose situation. I used to think that is is better to report
_something_, but the (sometimes loud) complaints about lack of perfection
teached me a lesson. So now my reaction is to drop support if I get
complaints about lack of perfection.

Guenter