Re: [GIT PULL] gcc-plugins updates for v5.11-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 16 2020 - 14:25:39 EST

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:15 PM Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please pull these gcc-plugins updates for v5.11-rc1.

Hmm, I pulled this and then did an allmodconfig build.

I expected that to be a full rebuild, since the plugins got
recompiled, but it turned out to just take 16 seconds because it only
compiled the plugins, not any of the object files.

I'm doing a _proper_ full build with this after doing a

git clean -dqfx

to actually clean everything out, but it did make me go "Umm".

Maybe we don't care. I guess the plugins are all supposed to be stable
in the sense that any updates don't change the generated code. But it
does strike me as a honking big hole for verification of plugin
changes.

So I don't think this necessarily requires any changes to our Kbuild
infrastructure, but I thought I'd mention it since this clearly didn't
match my naive expectations.

Linus