Energy-efficiency options within RCU

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Dec 10 2020 - 13:38:47 EST

Hello, Joel,

In case you are -seriously- interested... ;-)

Thanx, Paul

rcu_nocbs=

Adding a CPU to this list offloads RCU callback invocation from
that CPU's softirq handler to a kthread. In big.LITTLE systems,
this kthread can be placed on a LITTLE CPU, which has been
demonstrated to save significant energy in benchmarks.
http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/realtime/paper/AMPenergy.2013.04.19a.pdf

nohz_full=

Any CPU specified by this boot parameter is handled as if it was
specified by rcu_nocbs=.

rcutree.jiffies_till_first_fqs=

Increasing this will decrease wakeup frequency to the grace-period
kthread for the first FQS scan. And increase grace-period
latency.

rcutree.jiffies_till_next_fqs=

Ditto, but for the second and subsequent FQS scans.

My guess is that neither of these makes much difference. But if
they do, maybe some sort of backoff scheme for FQS scans?

rcutree.jiffies_till_sched_qs=

Increasing this will delay RCU's getting excited about CPUs and
tasks not responding with quiescent states. This excitement
can cause extra overhead.

No idea whether adjusting this would help. But if you increase
rcutree.jiffies_till_first_fqs or rcutree.jiffies_till_next_fqs,
you might need to increase this one accordingly.

rcutree.qovld=

Increasing this will increase the grace-period duration at which
RCU starts sending IPIs, thus perhaps reducing the total number
of IPIs that RCU sends. The destination CPUs are unlikely to be
idle, so it is not clear to me that this would help much. But
perhaps I am wrong about them being mostly non-idle, who knows?

rcupdate.rcu_cpu_stall_timeout=

If you get overly zealous about the earlier kernel boot parameters,
you might need to increase this one as well. Or instead use the
rcupdate.rcu_cpu_stall_suppress= kernel boot parameter to suppress
RCU CPU stall warnings entirely.

rcutree.rcu_nocb_gp_stride=

Increasing this might reduce grace-period work somewhat. I don't
see why a (say) 16-CPU system really needs to have more than one
rcuog kthread, so if this does help it might be worthwhile setting
a lower limit to this kernel parameter.

rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay= (Only CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y kernels.)

This defaults to four jiffies on the theory that grace periods
tend to last about that long. If grace periods tend to take
longer, then it makes a lot of sense to increase this. And maybe
battery-powered devices would rather have it be about 2x or 3x
the expected grace-period duration, who knows?

I would keep it to a power of two, but the code should work with
other numbers. Except that I don't know that this has ever been
tested. ;-)

srcutree.exp_holdoff=

Increasing this decreases the number of SRCU grace periods that
are treated as expedited. But you have to have closely-spaced
SRCU grace periods for this to matter. (These do happen at least
sometimes because I added this only because someone complained
about the performance regression from the earlier non-tree SRCU.)

rcupdate.rcu_task_ipi_delay=

This kernel parameter delays sending IPIs for RCU Tasks Trace,
which is used by sleepable BPF programs. Increasing it can
reduce overhead, but can also increase the latency of removing
sleepable BPF programs.

rcupdate.rcu_task_stall_timeout=

If you slow down RCU Tasks Trace too much, you may need this.
But then again, the default 10-minute value should suffice.

CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y

This only has effect on CPUs not specified by rcu_nocbs, and thus
might be useful on systems that offload RCU callbacks only on
some of the CPUs. For example, a big.LITTLE system might offload
only the big CPUs. This Kconfig option reduces the frequency of
timer interrupts (and thus of RCU-related softirq processing)
on idle CPUs. This has been shown to save significant energy
in benchmarks:
http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/realtime/paper/AMPenergy.2013.04.19a.pdf

CONFIG_RCU_STRICT_GRACE_PERIOD=y

This works hard (as in burns CPU) to sharply reduce grace-period
latency. The effect is probably to greatly increase power
consumption, but there might well be workloads where the shorter
grace periods more than make up for the extra CPU time. Or not.

CONFIG_HZ=

Reducing the scheduler-clock interrupt frequency has the opposite
effect, namely of increasing RCU grace-period latency, but while
also reducing RCU's CPU utilization.

CONFIG_TASKS_TRACE_RCU_READ_MB=y

Reduce the need to IPI RCU Tasks Trace holdout tasks, but at the
expense of an increase in to/from idle overhead. This Kconfig
option also slows down the rate at which RCU Tasks Trace polls
for holdout tasks. This polling rate cannot be separately
specified, but if changing the initial source-code values of
either rcu_tasks_trace.gp_sleep or rcu_tasks_trace.init_fract
proves useful, kernel boot parameters could be created.

That said, automatic initialization heuristics are more
convenient. When they work, anyway.