Re: drivers/char/random.c needs a (new) maintainer

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o
Date: Mon Nov 30 2020 - 11:56:15 EST

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 04:15:23PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> I am willing to maintain random.c and have intentions to have a
> formally verified RNG. I've mentioned this to Ted before.
>
> But I think Ted's reluctance to not accept the recent patches sent to
> this list is mostly justified, and I have no desire to see us rush
> into replacing random.c with something suboptimal or FIPSy.

Being a maintainer is not about *accepting* patches, it's about
*reviewing* them. I do plan to make time to catch up on reviewing
patches this cycle. One thing that would help me is if folks
(especially Jason, if you would) could start with a detailed review of
Nicolai's patches. His incremental approach is I believe the best one
from a review perspective, and certainly his cleanup patches are ones
which I would expect are no-brainers.

- Ted