Re: mm/memblock: export memblock_{start/end}_of_DRAM

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Sat Oct 31 2020 - 06:05:58 EST

On 31.10.20 10:18, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 10:38:42AM +0200, Mike Rapoport wrote:
What do you mean by "system memory block"? There could be a lot of
interpretations if you take into account memory hotplug, "mem=" option,
reserved and firmware memory.

I'd suggest you to describe the entire use case in more detail. Having
the complete picture would help finding a proper solution.

I think we need the code for the driver trying to do this as an RFC
submission. Everything else is rather pointless.

Sharing RFCs is most probably not what people want when developing advanced hypervisor features :)

@Sudarshan, I recommend looking at the slides of the KVM Forum talk from yesterday

https://kvmforum2020.sched.com/event/eE40/towards-an-alternative-memory-architecture-joao-martins-oracle?iframe=no

It contains a nice summary of the state of art, and how "mem=", devdax, and dax_hmat can be used to tackle the issue in a hypervisor.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb