Re: mm/memblock: export memblock_{start/end}_of_DRAM

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Fri Oct 30 2020 - 02:44:05 EST

On 29.10.20 22:29, Sudarshan Rajagopalan wrote:
Hello all,

Hi!

We have a usecase where a module driver adds certain memory blocks using
add_memory_driver_managed(), so that it can perform memory hotplug
operations on these blocks. In general, these memory blocks aren’t
something that gets physically added later, but is part of actual RAM
that system booted up with. Meaning – we set the ‘mem=’ cmdline
parameter to limit the memory and later add the remaining ones using
add_memory*() variants.

The basic idea is to have driver have ownership and manage certain
memory blocks for hotplug operations.

So, in summary, you're still abusing the memory hot(un)plug infrastructure from your driver - just not in a severe way as before. And I'll tell you why, so you might understand why exposing this API is not really a good idea and why your driver wouldn't - for example - be upstream material.

Don't get me wrong, what you are doing might be ok in your context, but it's simply not universally applicable in our current model.

Ordinary system RAM works different than many other devices (like PCI devices) whereby *something* senses the device and exposes it to the system, and some available driver binds to it and owns the memory.

Memory is detected by a driver and added to the system via e.g., add_memory_driver_managed(). Memory devices are created and the memory is directly handed off to the system, to be used as system RAM as soon as memory devices are onlined. There is no driver that "binds" memory like other devices - it's rather the core (buddy) that uses/owns that memory immediately after device creation.

For the driver be able to know how much memory was limited and how much
actually present, we take the delta of ‘bootmem physical end address’
and ‘memblock_end_of_DRAM’. The 'bootmem physical end address' is
obtained by scanning the reg values in ‘memory’ DT node and determining
the max {addr,size}. Since our driver is getting modularized, we won’t
have access to memblock_end_of_DRAM (i.e. end address of all memory
blocks after ‘mem=’ is applied).

What you do with "mem=" is force memory detection to ignore some of it's detected memory.

So checking if memblock_{start/end}_of_DRAM() symbols can be exported?
Also, this information can be obtained by userspace by doing ‘cat
/proc/iomem’ and greping for ‘System RAM’. So wondering if userspace can

Not correct: with "mem=", cat /proc/iomem only shows *detected* + added system RAM, not the unmodified detection.

have access to such info, can we allow kernel module drivers have access
by exporting memblock_{start/end}_of_DRAM().

Or are there any other ways where a module driver can get the end
address of system memory block?

And here is our problem: You disabled *detection* of that memory by the responsible driver (here: core). Now your driver wants to know what would have been detected. Assume you have memory hole in that region - it would not work by simply looking at start/end. You're driver is not the one doing the detection.

Another issue is: when using such memory for KVM guests, there is no mechanism that tracks ownership of that memory - imagine another driver wanting to use that memory. This really only works in special environments.

Yet another issue: you cannot assume that memblock data will stay around after boot. While we do it right now for arm64, that might change at some point. This is also one of the reasons why we don't export any real memblock data to drivers.

When using "mem=" you have to know the exact layout of your system RAM and communicate the right places how that layout looks like manually: here, to your driver.

The clean way of doing things today is to allocate RAM and use it for guests - e.g., using hugetlb/gigantic pages. As I said, there are other techniques coming up to deal with minimizing struct page overhead - if that's what you're concerned with (I still don't know why you're removing the memory from the host when giving it to the guest).

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb