Re: [RFC 1/2] printk: Add kernel parameter: mute_console

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 23 2020 - 11:59:42 EST

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 4:42 AM Petr Mladek <pmladek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Users use various undocumented ways how to completely disable
> console output. It is usually done by passing an invalid console
> name, for example, console="", console=null.
>
> It mostly works but just by chance.

Honestly, since that 'console=""' seems to be out in the wild, I think
we might as well just (a) document it, and (b) make sure it works by
more than chance.

That said, I also like John Ogness' suggestion to have it as a
per-console option to mute a particular console. At least that seems
like a perfectly fine extension.

I don't really see the point of a whole new "mute_console" option,
considering that people already figured out an alternate way to do it
that we'd have to support going forward anyway. Just make that the
standard.

Linus