Re: [GIT PULL] x86/asm updates for v5.10

From: Arvind Sankar
Date: Mon Oct 12 2020 - 16:27:06 EST

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:11:35AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 4:06 AM Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > * Use XORL instead of XORQ to avoid a REX prefix and save some bytes in
> > the .fixup section, by Uros Bizjak.
>
> I think this one is actually buggy.
>
> For the 1-byte case, it does this:
>
> __get_user_asm(x_u8__, ptr, retval, "b", "=q");
>
> and ends up doing "xorl" on a register that we told the compiler is a
> byte register (with that "=q")

It's not the "q", but the size of the l-value specified that tells the
compiler what to use. So x_u8__ does make it use a byte register, and it
would even with an "r" constraint. I think "q" is there only in case you
want to access the low byte of a bigger operand, to force the compiler
to use only a,b,c,d in 32-bit mode.