mm: Question about the use of 'accessed' flags and pte_young() helper

From: Christophe Leroy
Date: Thu Oct 08 2020 - 05:49:38 EST

In a 10 years old commit (https://github.com/linuxppc/linux/commit/d069cb4373fe0d451357c4d3769623a7564dfa9f), powerpc 8xx has made the handling of PTE accessed bit conditional to CONFIG_SWAP.
Since then, this has been extended to some other powerpc variants.

That commit means that when CONFIG_SWAP is not selected, the accessed bit is not set by SW TLB miss handlers, leading to pte_young() returning garbage, or should I say possibly returning false allthough a page has been accessed since its access flag was reset.

Looking at various mm/ places, pte_young() is used independent of CONFIG_SWAP

Is it still valid the not manage accessed flags when CONFIG_SWAP is not selected ?
If yes, should pte_young() always return true in that case ?

While we are at it, I'm wondering whether powerpc should redefine arch_faults_on_old_pte()
On some variants of powerpc, accessed flag is managed by HW. On others, it is managed by SW TLB miss handlers via page fault handling.

Thanks
Christophe