Re: Ways to deprecate /sys/devices/system/memory/memoryX/phys_device ?

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Fri Sep 11 2020 - 15:56:50 EST

> Am 11.09.2020 um 21:36 schrieb Luck, Tony <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> It's actually really hard to map a DIMM to a physical address.
>> Interleaving can mean that one page actually spans a bunch of DIMMs.
>
> Heh! If NUMA mode is turned off your single page may have cache lines
> from *every* DIMM in the system. Even with NUMA turned on the page
> will have cache lines from every DIMM on the socket.

Thanks Dave and Tony, that‘s valuable information!

How would it behave after hotplugging a single DIMM - I assume a single page will only be mapped to that DIMM (otherwise a lot of stuff would habe to be moved around. Would the mapping change after a reboot - especially can a DIMM that could get hotunplugged before suddenly no longer be hotunplugged individually?