Re: [v2] Documentation: Coccinelle: fix typos and command example

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Thu Jul 02 2020 - 02:02:46 EST

>>> Julia, Markus- can you tell me how to run coccicheck on one source file?
>>
>> You can choose between two methods.
>>
>> * Use the documented build target with appropriate parameters.
>> (How many Linux software modules do consist of only a single source file?)
>
> This is a useless piece of information. What are "appropriate parameters".

I propose to take another look at details from the discussed software documentation
for the desired selection of useful settings.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/dev-tools/coccinelle.rst?id=cd77006e01b3198c75fb7819b3d0ff89709539bb#n167

It is mentioned there that the make variable âMâ can be used
to apply Coccinelle to a specific directory.

* Which existing directories will contain a single source file for a while?

* You can create folders on demand with one source file (or equivalent
symbolic links), can't you?

>> * Do you get further ideas from another concrete command example?
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/5b693ee0-0cb1-7ff3-b562-bac6bcb6aae8@xxxxxx/
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/6/29/357
>>
>> elfring@Sonne:~/Projekte/Linux/next-patched> make J=1 C=1 CHECK='scripts/coccicheck' MODE=context COCCI=~/Projekte/Linux/next-patched/scripts/coccinelle/null/show_pointer_usage_before_null_check-20200701.cocci drivers/usb/mtu3/mtu3_gadget.o
>
> This is not what is intended.

I am curious how corresponding intentions will be adjusted.

> What is intended has never worked.

I wonder about this view.
Did I get inappropriate impressions from the presented test example?

> The coccicheck script expects that the file name is received on its command
> line, and that is not the case. I have asked the person who wrote the
> code if he knows how to fix it.

I am also curious how this area might evolve further.

Regards,
Markus