Re: [RFC v2] ptrace, pidfd: add pidfd_ptrace syscall

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 00:17:47 EST

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 6:36 PM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ïOn Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 5:46 PM Aleksa Sarai <cyphar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. It would be a shame to add a new ptrace syscall and not take
>> the opportunity to fix the multitude of problems with the existing API.
>> But that's a Pandora's box which we shouldn't open unless we want to
>> wait a long time to get an API everyone is okay with -- a pretty high
>> price to just get pidfds support in ptrace.
>
> We should really be very very careful with some "smarter ptrace".
> We've had _so_ many security issues with ptrace that it's not even
> funny.
>
> And that's ignoring all the practical issues we've had.
>
> I would definitely not want to have anything that looks like ptrace AT
> ALL using pidfd. If we have a file descriptor to specify the target
> process, then we should probably take advantage of that file
> descriptor to actually make it more of a asynchronous interface that
> doesn't cause the kinds of deadlocks that we've had with ptrace.
>
> The synchronous nature of ptrace() means that not only do we have
> those nasty deadlocks, it's also very very expensive to use. It also
> has some other fundamental problems, like the whole "take over parent"
> and the SIGCHLD behavior.
>
> It also is hard to ptrace a ptracer. Which is annoying when you're
> debugging gdb or strace or whatever.
>
> So I think the thing to do is ask the gdb (and strace) people if they
> have any _very_ particular painpoints that we could perhaps help with.
>
> And then very carefully think things through and not repeat all the
> mistakes ptrace did.
>
> I'm not very optimistic.

I hate to say this, but Iâm not convinced that asking the gdb folks is the right approach. GDB has an ancient architecture and is *incredibly* buggy. Iâm sure ptrace is somewhere on the pain point list, but I suspect itâs utterly dwarfed by everything else.

Maybe the LLDB people would have a better perspective? The rr folks would be a good bet, too. Or, and I know this is sacrilege, the VSCode people?

I think one requirement for a better ptrace is that it should work if you try to debug, simultaneously, a debugger and its debugee. Maybe not perfectly, but it should work. And you should be able to debug init.

Another major pain point Iâve seen is compat. A 64-bit debugger should be able to debug a program that switches back and forth between 32-bit and 64-bit. A debugger that is entirely unaware of a set of registers should be able to debug a process using those registers.