Re: [GIT PULL] io_uring fix for 5.7-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 24 2020 - 16:03:45 EST

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Single fixup for a change that went into -rc2, please pull.

I'd like to point out that this was exactly the code that I pointed to
as being badly written and hard to understand:

"That whole apoll thing is disgusting.

I cannot convince myself it is right. How do you convince yourself?"

And you at that time claimed it was all fairly simple and clear.

I repeat: that whole apoll thing is disgusting. It wasn't simple and
clear and only a few obvious cases that had issues.

In fact, now it's even less clear, with an even more complicated check
for when to restore things,

I think that whole approach needs re-thinking. Is the union really worth it?

Can you guarantee and explain why _this_ time it is right?

Linus