Re: Cgroup memory barrier usage and call frequency from scheduler

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Thu Apr 09 2020 - 14:21:01 EST

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 01:56:21PM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Mel.
>
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 04:44:13PM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > Commit 9a9e97b2f1f2 ("cgroup: Add memory barriers to plug
> > cgroup_rstat_updated() race window") introduced two full memory
> > barriers to close a race. The one in cgroup_rstat_updated can be
> > called at a high frequency from the scheduler from update_curr ->
> > cgroup_account_cputime. The patch has no cc's, acks or reviews so I'm
> > not sure how closely this was looked at. cgroup_rstat_updated shows up
> > in profiles of netperf UDP_STREAM accounting for about 1% of overhead
>
> Oops, that's pretty high.
>
> > which doesn't sound a lot but that's about the same weight as some of
> > the critical network paths. I have three questions about the patch
> >
> > 1. Why were full barriers used?
>
> Given
>
> A C
> --- ---
> B D
>
> the code is trying to guarantee that either B sees C or D sees A, so it does
> need full ordering.

Ok, still not particularly clear given where they are used and how
it's related to updated_children but like you say later it's "kinda
irrelevant" :)

> > 2. Why was it important that the data race be closed when the inaccuracy
> > is temporary?
>
> There was a pending patchset which converted memcg to use rstat and the
> conversion included the event counters which needed to be synchronous (e.g.
> for things like oom kill counts). The patchset didn't make it through due to
> the percpu memory overhead at the time. The memory overhead issue can be
> resolved now but in the meantime memcg got improved in a different way which
> made the rstat conversion not immediately necessary, so it fell through the
> cracks. In retrospect, this patch shouldn't have been committed on its own or
> at least the synchronous and pure state update paths should have been
> separate.

Ah, thanks for that explanation.

> > 3. Why is it called from the context of update_curr()?
>
> It's just being callled from the path which udpates sched statistics.
>
> > For 1, the use of a full barrier seems unnecessary when it appears that
> > you could have used a read barrier and a write barrier. The following
> > patch drops the profile overhead to 0.1%
>
> I'm not sure this is correct but that's kinda irrelevant.
>
> > For 2, the changelog says the barriers are necessary because "we plan to use
> > rstat to track counters which need to be accurate". That is a bit vague.
> > Under what circumstances is a transient inaccuracy a serious enough
> > problem to justify additional barriers in the scheduler?
>
> Hope this is explained now.

It is.

> > For 3, update_curr() is called from a lot of places, some of which are
> > quite hot -- e.g. task enqueue/dequeue. This is necessary information from
> > the runqueue needs to be preserved. However, it's less clear that the cpu
> > accounting information needs to be up to date on this granularity although
> > it might be related to question 2. Why was the delta_exec not similarly
> > accumulated in cpuacct_change() and defer the hierarchical update to
> > be called from somewhere like entity_tick()? It would need tracking the
> > CPU time at the last update as delta_exec would be lost so it's not very
> > trivial but it does not look like it would be overly complicated.
>
> Most likely historic. The code has been there for a long time and the only
> recent changes were plumbing around them. Nothing in cpuacct needs to be
> per-scheduling-event accurate, so yeah, for the longer term, it'd be a good
> idea to move them out of hot path.

Even if it's a future thing it helps me to know the accuracy does not
have to be perfect. It means if it bothers me enough, I can take a shot
at addressing it myself without having to worry that some controller is
broken as a side-effect.

> For now, I'll revert the patch. Nothing in tree needs that right now. If the
> need for synchronous counting comes back later, I'll make that a separate
> path.

That's perfect, thanks!

--
Mel Gorman