Re: Backport dependencies helper

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Tue Mar 31 2020 - 10:08:35 EST

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:44:00PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Hi Sasha,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 08:32:17AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
Each
directory represents a kernel version which we'll call K, and each file
inside that directory is named after an upstream commit we'll call C,
and it's content are the list of commits one would need to apply on top
of kernel K to "reach" commit C.

That's very interesting! I still have nightmare-like memories or
complete week-ends spent trying to address this using heuristics
when I was maintaining 2.6.32 and 3.10. However how do you produce
these ? Is this related to the stable-deps utility in your stable-tools
repository ?

No, those tools try to do the same thing, but work differently.
stable-deps attempts to look at context lines surrounding the patch
itself to guess which other patches might be interesting.

While here, I use git-bisect to create a list of commits required to be
applied before any given commit.

--
Thanks,
Sasha