Re: Upcoming: Notifications, FS notifications and fsinfo()

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Tue Mar 31 2020 - 01:11:27 EST

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:17 PM Christian Brauner
<christian.brauner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fwiw, putting down my kernel hat and speaking as someone who maintains
> two container runtimes and various other low-level bits and pieces in
> userspace who'd make heavy use of this stuff I would prefer the fd-based
> fsinfo() approach especially in the light of across namespace
> operations, querying all properties of a mount atomically all-at-once,

fsinfo(2) doesn't meet the atomically all-at-once requirement. Sure,
it's possible to check the various change counters before and after a
batch of calls to check that the result is consistent. Still, that's
not an atomic all-at-once query, if you'd really require that, than
fsinfo(2) as it currently stands would be inadequate.

> and safe delegation through fds. Another heavy user of this would be
> systemd (Cced Lennart who I've discussed this with) which would prefer
> the fd-based approach as well. I think pulling this into a filesystem
> and making userspace parse around in a filesystem tree to query mount
> information is the wrong approach and will get messy pretty quickly
> especially in the face of mount and user namespace interactions and
> various other pitfalls.

Have you actually looked at my proposed patch? Do you have concrete
issues or just vague bad feelings?

Thanks,
Miklos