Re: snd_hda_intel/sst-acpi sound breakage on suspend/resume since 5.6-rc1

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Mon Mar 30 2020 - 11:37:39 EST

On 3/30/20 6:39 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
On 2020-03-30 12:23, Dominik Brodowski wrote:

Seems this patch didn't make it into v5.6 (and neither did the other ones
you sent relating to the "dummy" components). Can these patches therefore be
marked for stable, please?

I sent my pull request already sorry - once it hits Linus' tree I'd send
a request to stable.

While one of the series was accepted and merged, there is a delay caused by
Google/ SOF folks in merging the second one.

Idk why rt286 aka "broadwell" machine board patch has not been merged yet.
It's not like we have to merge all (rt5650 + rt5650 + rt286) patches at
once. Google guys can keep verifying Buddy or whatnot while guys with Dell
XPS can enjoy smooth audio experience.

My scripting is set up to merge things sent to me as a patch series and
we didn't get positive review from Pierre on any of it with the review
on that one patch seeming to suggest it might also be waiting go go
through a test farm. TBH I also wasn't expecting it to take quite so
long to get reviewed when it came in, it's been over 2 weeks now...

There are multiple problems with Broadwell and device-specific issues on suspend-resume - in which Cezary is involved. The tests are not automated so depend on people availability.

I tested this series last Friday and I didn't find any new problem on my side, so we should probably merge this series.

Everyone should be aware though that suspend-resume is far from stable on Broadwell, and if it works on Dell XPS 13 it doesn't work reliably on Chrome devices.