[patch V3 00/23] x86/entry: Consolidation part II (syscalls)

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Mar 20 2020 - 14:39:31 EST

Hi!

This is the third version of the syscall entry code consolidation
series. V2 can be found here:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/20200308222359.370649591@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It applies on top of

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git x86/entry

and is also available from git:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/devel entry-v3-part2

The changes vs. V2:

- A massive rework utilizing Peter Zijlstras objtool patches to analyze
the new .noinstr.text section:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/20200317170234.897520633@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Working with this was really helpful as it clearly pin pointed code
which calls out of the protected section which is much more efficient
and focussed than chasing everything manually.

- Picked up the two RCU patches from Paul for completeness. The bugfix
is required anyway and the comments have been really helpful to see
where the defense line has to be.

- As the tool flagged KVM as red zone, I looked at the context tracking
usage there and it has similar if not worse issues. New set of patches
dealing with that.

Please have a close look at the approach and the resulting protected areas.

Known issues:

- The kprobes '.noinstr.text' exclusion currently works only for built
in code. Haven't figured out how to to fix that, but I'm sure that
Masami knows :)

- The various SANitizers if enabled ruin the picture. Peter and I still
have no brilliant idea what to do about that.

Thanks,

tglx
---
arch/x86/entry/common.c | 173 ++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
arch/x86/entry/entry_32.S | 24 ----
arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S | 6 -
arch/x86/entry/entry_64_compat.S | 32 ------
arch/x86/entry/thunk_64.S | 45 +++++++-
arch/x86/include/asm/bug.h | 3
arch/x86/include/asm/hardirq.h | 4
arch/x86/include/asm/irqflags.h | 3
arch/x86/include/asm/nospec-branch.h | 4
arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h | 3
arch/x86/kvm/svm.c | 152 ++++++++++++++++++----------
arch/x86/kvm/vmx/ops.h | 4
arch/x86/kvm/vmx/vmenter.S | 2
arch/x86/kvm/vmx/vmx.c | 78 +++++++++++---
arch/x86/kvm/x86.c | 4
b/include/asm-generic/bug.h | 9 +
include/asm-generic/sections.h | 3
include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h | 4
include/linux/compiler.h | 24 ++++
include/linux/compiler_types.h | 4
include/linux/context_tracking.h | 27 +++--
include/linux/context_tracking_state.h | 6 -
include/linux/irqflags.h | 6 +
include/linux/sched.h | 1
kernel/context_tracking.c | 14 +-
kernel/kprobes.c | 11 ++
kernel/locking/lockdep.c | 66 +++++++++---
kernel/panic.c | 4
kernel/rcu/tree.c | 91 +++++++++++------
kernel/rcu/tree_plugin.h | 4
kernel/rcu/update.c | 7 -
kernel/trace/trace_preemptirq.c | 25 ++++
lib/debug_locks.c | 2
lib/smp_processor_id.c | 10 -
scripts/mod/modpost.c | 2