Re: snd_hda_intel/sst-acpi sound breakage on suspend/resume since 5.6-rc1

From: Cezary Rojewski
Date: Thu Mar 19 2020 - 09:31:41 EST

On 2020-03-19 14:00, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:20:55PM +0100, Cezary Rojewski wrote:

Thanks for quick reply. Revert of said commit fixes stream==NULL issue for
me. See if there were any changes in dmesg.
Will ask technicians to assist me on site tomorrow.

Have some good news now, namely that a bisect is complete: That pointed to
1272063a7ee4 ("ASoC: soc-core: care .ignore_suspend for Component suspend");
therefore I've added Kuninori Morimoto to this e-mail thread.

Additionally, I have tested mainline (v5.6-rc6+ as of 5076190daded) with
*both* 64df6afa0dab (which you suggested yesterday) and 1272063a7ee4
reverted. And that works like a charm as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Dominik

To make everyone not miss a bit - I believe we had 2 issues here, even though that one may seem harmless from user perspective:

From IPC logs indeed it looks like a redundant (additional) stream initialization has occurred - said redundant stream is destroyed right after it has been created, and only to be recreated yet again.. Can share the logs if required.

While hw_params() handled doubled init nicely, _reset and _free
did not (during on pcm_close()) -> secondary invokes attempted to RESET
and FREE stream despite it being destroyed long ago. With revert of
patch I had mentioned, no lines:

!!! haswell-pcm-audio haswell-pcm-audio: warning: stream is NULL, no
stream to reset, ignore it.
!!! haswell-pcm-audio haswell-pcm-audio: warning: stream is NULL, no
stream to free, ignore it.

should appear.

I'll focus now on the commits you found offending during your bisect. Thank you Dominik!

Czarek