Re: [f2fs-dev] Multidevice f2fs mount after disk rearrangement

From: Chao Yu
Date: Wed Jan 08 2020 - 03:52:44 EST

On 2020/1/7 2:40, Oleksandr Natalenko via Linux-f2fs-devel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 06.01.2020 19:34, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
>> Thank you for investigating this ahead of me. :) Yes, the device list
>> is stored
>> in superblock, so hacking it manually should work.
>>
>> Let me think about a tool to tune that.
>
> Thank you both for the replies.
>
> IIUC, tune.f2fs is not there yet. I saw a submission, but I do not see
> it as accepted, right?
>
> Having this in tune.f2fs would be fine (assuming the assertion is
> replaced with some meaningful hint message), but wouldn't it be more
> convenient for an ordinary user to have implemented something like:
>
> # mount -t f2fs /dev/sdb -o nextdev=/dev/sdc /mnt/fs

Hmm... sounds reasonable, however, the risk is obvious, if we mount with wrong
primary device, filesystem can be aware that with metadata sanity check, if we
mount with wrong secondary/... devices by mistake (or intentionally, people
may think filesystem should be aware illegal parameters....), filesystem won't
be aware of that, then metadata/data will be inconsistent...

Although that may also happen when we use tunesb.f2fs, but fsck.f2fs can be
followed to verify the modification of tunesb.f2fs, that would be much safer.

So I suggest we can do that in tools first, maybe implement nextdev mount option
if we have added metadata in secondary/... device.

Thanks,