Re: [resend v1 0/5] Add support for block disk resize notification

From: Bob Liu
Date: Mon Jan 06 2020 - 01:02:18 EST

On 1/2/20 3:53 PM, Balbir Singh wrote:
> Allow block/genhd to notify user space about disk size changes
> using a new helper disk_set_capacity(), which is a wrapper on top
> of set_capacity(). disk_set_capacity() will only notify if
> the current capacity or the target capacity is not zero.

set_capacity_and_notify() may be a more straightforward name.

> Background:
>
> As a part of a patch to allow sending the RESIZE event on disk capacity
> change, Christoph (hch@xxxxxx) requested that the patch be made generic
> and the hacks for virtio block and xen block devices be removed and
> merged via a generic helper.
>
> This series consists of 5 changes. The first one adds the basic
> support for changing the size and notifying. The follow up patches
> are per block subsystem changes. Other block drivers can add their
> changes as necessary on top of this series.
>
> Testing:
> 1. I did some basic testing with an NVME device, by resizing it in
> the backend and ensured that udevd received the event.
>
> NOTE: After these changes, the notification might happen before
> revalidate disk, where as it occured later before.

It's better not to change original behavior.
How about something like:

+void set_capacity_and_notify(struct gendisk *disk, sector_t size, bool revalidate)
{
sector_t capacity = get_capacity(disk);

set_capacity(disk, size);

+ if (revalidate)
+ revalidate_disk(disk);
if (capacity != 0 && size != 0) {
char *envp[] = { "RESIZE=1", NULL };

kobject_uevent_env(&disk_to_dev(disk)->kobj, KOBJ_CHANGE, envp);
}
}