Re: [RFC v2 1/1] drm/lima: Add optional devfreq support

From: Martin Blumenstingl
Date: Thu Jan 02 2020 - 16:56:48 EST

Hi Robin,

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 1:55 PM Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2019-12-31 4:47 pm, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> > Hi Robin,

> >> Yeah, I started hacking something up for panfrost yesterday, but at the
> >> point of realising the core OPP code wants refactoring to actually
> >> handle optional regulators without spewing errors, decided that was
> >> crossing the line into "work" and thus could wait until next week :D
> > I'm not sure what you mean, dev_pm_opp_set_regulators uses
> > regulator_get_optional.
> > doesn't that mean that it is optional already?
>
> Indeed it does call regulator_get_optional(), but it then goes on to
> treat the absence of a supposedly-optional regulator as a hard failure.
> It doesn't seem very useful having a nice abstracted interface if users
> still end up have to dance around and duplicate half the parsing in
> order to work out whether it's worth calling or not - far better IMO if
> it could just successfully set/put zero regulators in the cases where
> the OPPs are behind a firmware/mailbox DVFS interface rather than
> explicit in-kernel clock/regulator control.
thank you for the explanation
I'll experience this case on newer Amlogic SoCs where regulators are
hidden behind SCPI firmware. so far I have only tested the case
without OPP-table on those SoCs.

> That said, given that I think the current lima/panfrost users should all
> be relatively simple with either 0 or 1 regulator, you could probably
> just special-case -ENODEV and accept a spurious error message sometimes
> for the sake of an immediate fix, then we can make general improvements
> to the interface separately afterwards.
OK, I'll be working on this next week again
if you get to fix panfrost earlier then please Cc me so we don't duplicate work

Martin