Re: Why is CONFIG_VT forced on?

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o
Date: Mon Dec 30 2019 - 21:33:43 EST

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 06:03:26PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > So if I disable CONFIG_EXPERT, using miniconfig I then need to manually switch on:
> >
> > ./init/Kconfig: bool "Namespaces support" if EXPERT
> >
> > So nobody noticed you have a structural "this config option actually switches
> > this thing _off_" implemented via magic symbol then?

Perhaps because the right thing happens if you enable CONFIG_EXPERT
using "make menuconfig"? It also looks like the right thing happens
if you edit the .config and then run "make oldconfig".

Personally, I never use miniconfig, so it's not anything *I* ever
noticed in all of my years of kernel development. Usually, the way
that I manage configs is "make menuconfig", or editing the .config
directly, or "make savedefconfig" / "make olddefconfig".

Cheers,

- Ted