Re: [RFD] kdump, kaslr: how to fix the failure of reservation of crashkernel low memory due to physical kaslr

From: 'bhe@xxxxxxxxxx'
Date: Thu Dec 26 2019 - 21:42:15 EST

On 12/26/19 at 09:22am, d.hatayama@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]

OK, this is truly extreme case, thanks for sharing.

Then I have several questions about it:

1) Can we use crashkernel=high, crashkernel=low, to fix this issue?
I believe in this system you told, it must be a high-end server, should
have hardware iommu depolyed. It doesn't need 256M low memory actually,
maybe 128M, even 64M is enough?

Asking this is because the 256M is default setting, default value only
covers general cases.

2) What if the system becomes more extreme, like the largest contiguous
free physical pages is less than 256M, even less than 128M?

Even though kernel image is limited to above 4G, whose fault is it? and
how can we fix it in this case?

3) If we really add limitation, maybe add kaslr_high to limit KASLR to
only put kernel image above 4G?

> > Someone ever told that some systems may not have low 4G memory since
> > they own hardware iommu. In real life, I never see such kind of system,
> > and most of them can give 256M crashkernel memory a satisfactory result.
> > Unless you reserve more than 1G under low 4G, it could fail because of
> > kinds of complicated memory reservations there.
>
> I'm surprised to hear such system without low 4GB memory and I wonder
> how such system works well without restriction of memory access range
> in early runtime mode on x86 such as real mode.

I think they meant almost no low memory, and it's a prototype machine to
experiment. Can't remember the detail.

Thanks
Baoquan