Re: Regulator probe on demand (or circular dependencies)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Dec 12 2019 - 11:19:08 EST

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:57 PM Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 10:42:43PM +0000, Kieran Bingham wrote:
sort of wondering if something like this could optimise away some
> > of the -EPROBE_DEFER iterations at a more global level, but I don't know
> > how or if that would work anyway.
>
> In theory someone could try to do some sort of sorting with the DT
> graph, people keep talking about it but nobody's done anything that I'm
> aware of.

"of_devlink" has landed in v5.5-rc1, cfr. commit a3e1d1a7f5fcccaf ("of:
property: Add functional dependency link from DT bindings").

I gave it a try on some boards lately. It improved the deferral situation on
Koelsch, but made it worse on Salvator-XS.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds