Running an Ivy Bridge cpu at fixed frequency

From: David Laight
Date: Wed Dec 04 2019 - 12:01:37 EST

Is there any way to persuade the intel_pstate driver to make an Ivy bridge (i7-3770)
cpu run at a fixed frequency?
It is really difficult to compare code execution times when the cpu clock speed
keeps changing.
I thought I'd managed by setting the 'scaling_max_freq' to 1.7GHz, but even that
doesn't seem to be working now.
It would also be nice to run a little faster than that - but without it 'randomly'
going to 'turbo' frequencies (which it is doing even after I've set no_turbo to 1).

An alternative would be a variable frequency TSC - might give more consistent values.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)