mdadm grow to double the capacity

From: Paramasivam, Meenakshisundaram
Date: Mon Nov 25 2019 - 21:33:58 EST

âHi,

I have raid-6 mdadm array with 8 drives (5 TB each), and a total of 30 TB usable space. XFS is created on this volume. Since I am about 85% used, I want to add 6 more drives to this existing array in raid-6 to take this array to 60 TB with 14 drives in raid-6.

âWhat would be the fastest (and safest) way to grow the raid-6 array from 8 disks to 14 disks? I am assuming I can first add the 6 drives, and grow all at once with the command:

mdadm -v --grow --raid-devices=14 /dev/md2

How long will this take (estimate)? Should I umount xfs before attempting to grow the mdadm array?

I am aware that I need to grow xfs after the mdadm grow operation.

Please let me know or point to tips. Thanks.

Sundar