Re: [RFC v1 00/19] Modify zonelist to nodelist v1

From: Christopher Lameter
Date: Fri Nov 22 2019 - 10:53:59 EST

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, Pengfei Li wrote:

> I am sorry that I did not make it clear. I want to express this series
> of patches will benefit NUMA systems with multiple nodes.

Ok but that benefit needs to be quantified somehow.

> The main benefit is that it will be more efficient when traversing all
> nodes (for example when performing page reclamation).

And you loose the prioritization of allocations through these different
zones. We create zonelists with a certain sequence of the zones in
order to prefer allocations from certain zones. This is in particular
important for the smaller DMA zones which may be easily exhausted.