Re: memory offline infinite loop after soft offline

From: Naoya Horiguchi
Date: Sun Oct 20 2019 - 23:18:58 EST

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 07:56:09AM -0400, Qian Cai wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 2:35 AM, Naoya Horiguchi <n-horiguchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> You're right, then I don't see how this happens. If the error hugepage was
> isolated without having PG_hwpoison set, it's unexpected and problematic.
> I'm testing myself with v5.4-rc2 (simply ran move_pages12 and did hotremove
> /hotadd)
> but don't reproduce the issue yet. Do we need specific kernel version/
> config
> to trigger this?
>

> This is reproducible on linux-next with the config. Not sure if it is
> reproducible on x86.
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cailca/linux-mm/master/powerpc.config
>
> and kernel cmdline if that matters
>
> page_poison=on page_owner=on numa_balancing=enable \
> systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 debug_guardpage_minorder=1 \
> page_alloc.shuffle=1

Thanks for the info.

> BTW, where does the code set PG_hwpoison for the head page?

Precisely speaking, soft offline only sets PG_hwpoison after the target
hugepage is successfully dissolved (then it's not a hugepage any more),
so PG_hwpoison is set on the raw page in set_hwpoison_free_buddy_page().

In move_pages12 case, madvise(MADV_SOFT_OFFLINE) is called for the range
of 2 hugepages, so the expected result is that page offset 0 and 512
are marked as PG_hwpoison after injection.

Looking at your dump_page() output, the end_pfn is page offset 1
("page:c00c000800458040" is likely to point to pfn 0x11601.)
The page belongs to high order buddy free page, but doesn't have
PageBuddy nor PageHWPoison because it was not the head page or
the raw error page.

> Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. It looks to me that in
> soft_offline_huge_page(), set_hwpoison_free_buddy_page() will only set
> PG_hwpoison for buddy pages, so the even the compound_head() has no PG_hwpoison
> set.

Your analysis is totally correct, and this behavior will be fixed by
the change (https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/10/17/551) in Oscar's rework.
The raw error page will be taken off from buddy system and the other
subpages are properly split into lower orderer pages (we'll properly
manage PageBuddy flags). So all possible cases would be covered by
branches in __test_page_isolated_in_pageblock.

Thanks,
Naoya Horiguchi