Re: coccinelle: api/devm_platform_ioremap_resource: remove useless script

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Sat Oct 19 2019 - 10:07:47 EST

> What are the additional effects?

I suggest to take another look at the commit 7945f929f1a77a1c8887a97ca07f87626858ff42
("drivers: provide devm_platform_ioremap_resource()" from 2019-02-20)
which triggered the discussed software evolution.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/base/platform.c

> What is the end goal of converting all the existing drivers to devm_platform_ioremap_resource?

It was accepted by well-known Linux developers to put two function calls
into another wrapper function.

> This is not an evolution, it is unnecessary churn. Those patches have no
> benefit and eat up very valuable reviewer time.

I am curious if other contributors would like to describe more variants
of software development opinions in affected areas.

>> How will such feedback influence the development and integration of
>> further scripts for the semantic patch language (Coccinelle software)?
>
> There are a few other scripts that have no added value when applied to
> existing code, like ptr_ret.cocci.

Would you like to clarify concerns around such source code transformation
approaches in more detail?

Regards,
Markus