Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.72-rt25

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Oct 07 2019 - 15:30:07 EST

On Monday 16 September 2019 17:39:21 Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Dear RT Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.72-rt25 stable release.
>
> **** <NOTE> ****
>
> As you probably have noticed, it has been a long time since I released
> a stable 4.19-rt. The reason for this delay is that one of my tests
> failed after merging with the latest stable upstream. I refuse to push
> releases with a known bug in it, so I figured I would find the bug
> before releasing. I only spend around 4 to 6 hours a week on upstream
> stable RT as I have other responsibilities, and I could not debug this
> bug during that time (after several weeks of trying).
>
> The bug is a random NULL pointer dereference that only happens with
> lockdep enabled and on 32bit x86. I also found that this bug existed
> before the latest stable pull release but now it is much easier to
> trigger.
>
> I have not been able to trigger this bug in the 64 bit kernel, and as
> I rather do a release than waste more time on this bug and postpone
> the release further, I am now doing that. As a consequence, I am no
> longer supporting 32bit x86, as it is known to have this bug.
>
> If you are interested in this, I am willing to send out the config I
> am using and one of the dmesg crashes. Just ask.
>
> **** </NOTE> ****
>

> This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.72 version
> and no RT specific changes have been made.
>

> You can get this release via the git tree at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
>
> branch: v4.19-rt
> Head SHA1: 9cd04ab6a9a162ac4189a80032261d243563ff45

> Or to build 4.19.72-rt25 directly, the following patches should be
> applied:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.tar.xz
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/patch-4.19.72.xz
>

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.72-
>rt25.patch.xz

Unfortunately, this does not work for the pi3-4 family. When its all
pulled in and patched, there is no arch/arm/configs bcm2709_defconfig or
bcm2711_defconfig for either a pi3b or the new pi4b.

I'll go find the 5.2.14 announce and see if its any more complete.

> Enjoy,
>
> -- Steve

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)