Re: Lay common foundation to make PVR/SGX work without hacks on OMAP34xx, OMAP36xx, AM335x and potentially OMAP4, OMAP5

From: Tero Kristo
Date: Mon Oct 07 2019 - 15:19:15 EST

On 07/10/2019 18:52, Tony Lindgren wrote:
Hi,

* H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [191005 16:59]:
Hi all,
with the arrival of v5.4-rc1 some of Tony's sysc patches have arrived
upstream, so we do no longer need them here.

Therefore, I have rebased my drivers/staging/pvr driver [1] and fixed some
more issues:
* omap4 build only needs to distinguish between omap4420/30/60 and omap4470,
because the latter has an sgx544 inside and the other sgx540
This is solved by creating a new omap4470.dts
* I have added proper reg values and interrupts to the omap4 device
tree node of the sgx (child node of the target-module)
* some updates to my sgxdump and sgxdemo scripts (assuming simple
Debian Stretch rootfs)
* James Hilliard has contributed a fix for osfunc.c
* omap2plus also needs to be configured for STAGING and PREEMPT
to be able to compile the driver
* I have added the __always_inline fix [2] which is needed for v5.4 with
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y (which I are enabled on the Letux builds)

Unfortunately Tero's rstctrl patches did not yet make it upstream (or even
linux-next) so I also have a copy in this branch.

Results of first testing are:
* OMAP3530 (OpenPandora, BeagleBoard C): fails with
[ 559.247558] PVR_K:(Error): SysLocateDevices: platform_get_resource failed

* DM3730 (GTA04, BeagleBoard XM): kernel module loads

* OMAP4460 (Pandaboard ES): kernel module loads

* AM335x (BeagleBoneBlack): reports a problem with omap_reset_deassert:
[ 204.246706] omap_reset_deassert: timedout waiting for gfx:0

Please try with Tero's current github branch at github.com/t-kristo/linux-pm.git
5.4-rc1-ipc from few days ago, the earlier versions had still issues.

Yeah, this one should be fixed now.

* OMAP5 (Pyra): fails to enable the clocks (did work with the previous version)
[ 304.140363] clock-controller:clk:0000:0: failed to enable
[ 304.147388] PVR_K:(Error): EnableSGXClocks: pm_runtime_get_sync failed (16)

Hmm no idea what might be up with this one. Did some clkctrl clock
fixes maybe cause a regression here? Tero do you have any ideas?

So, this one I am not too sure, I haven't looked at omap5 graphics clocking. I don't think it has anything to do with reset handling though.

Is there some simple way to try this out on board; without PVR module that is?

-Tero

* OMAP5 with omap2plus_defconfig:
root@letux:~# echo on > $(find /sys -name control | grep \/5600)
[ 213.490926] clock-controller:clk:0000:0: failed to enable
root@letux:~#

* pvrsrvctl --start --no-module:
reports (where the kernel module loads) that the uKernel does not run

So I have several ideas what the reasons for the problems on the non-omap5
devices could be:
* initial code may have some omap5 specific hack inside
* or has omap5 specific magic constants
* uKernel may "know" on which platform it runs and
we would need differently patched user-space code
for each one
* omap5 has a dual core sgx544 while the other
have single core
* the register address translation is not yet correct and
this inhibits communicating of the user-space libs
with the uKernel

Maybe, if someone can point me to a complete and working BeagleBone source
tree (any kernel release) which makes use of 1.14.3699939 SDK, I could compare
code and address setup to find what makes the difference.

Regards,

Tony

[1]: https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup/linux_openpvrsgx/commits/letux-pvr
[2]: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/10/2/201

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki. Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki