Re: System hangs if NVMe/SSD is removed during suspend

From: Jan Kara
Date: Mon Oct 07 2019 - 06:08:42 EST

On Fri 04-10-19 07:32:40, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 10/4/19 5:01 AM, Mika Westerberg wrote:

> >> I guess that depends on why WQ_FREEZABLE was added to it in the first place. :-)
> >>
> >> The reason might be to avoid writes to persistent storage after creating an
> >> image during hibernation, since wqs remain frozen throughout the entire
> >> hibernation including the image saving phase.
> >
> > Good point.
> >
> >> Arguably, making the wq freezable is kind of a sledgehammer approach to that
> >> particular issue, but in principle it may prevent data corruption from
> >> occurring, so be careful there.
> >
> > I tried to find the commit that introduced the "freezing" and I think it
> > is this one:
> >
> > 03ba3782e8dc writeback: switch to per-bdi threads for flushing data
> >
> > Unfortunately from that commit it is not clear (at least to me) why it
> > calls set_freezable() for the bdi task. It does not look like it has
> > anything to do with blocking writes to storage while entering
> > hibernation but I may be mistaken.
>
> Wow, a decade ago...
>
> Honestly, I don't recall why these were marked freezable, and as I wrote
> in the other reply, I don't think there's a good reason for that to be
> the case.

Well, cannot it happen that the flush worker will get stuck in D state
because some subsystem is already suspended and thus hibernation fails
(because AFAIK processes in uninterruptible sleep block hibernation)?

I was also somewhat worried that the hibernation image could be
inconsistent if flush workers do something while hibernation image is being
taken but that does not seem to be a valid concern as all kernel processes
get frozen before hibernation image is taken.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR