Re: x86/random: Speculation to the rescue

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 06 2019 - 14:07:02 EST

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> It will not: boot is now halted because systemd wants some
> entropy. Everything is idle and very little interrupts are
> happening. We have spinning rust, but it is idle, and thus not
> generating any interrupts.

Yes, but we have that problem now solved.

Except on embedded platforms that have garbage CPU's without even a
cycle counter.

But those won't have spinning rust anyway.

Yes, bad SSD's and MMC disks (that they do have) will generate timing
noise too, but in the absense of a cycle counter, that noise won't be
much use.

Linus