Re: [rfc] mm, hugetlb: allow hugepage allocations to excessively reclaim

From: David Rientjes
Date: Fri Oct 04 2019 - 14:02:27 EST

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, Michal Hocko wrote:

> Requesting the userspace to drop _all_ page cache in order allocate a
> number of hugetlb pages or any other affected __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL
> requests is simply not reasonable IMHO.

It can be used as a fallback when writing to nr_hugepages and the amount
allocated did not match expectation. Again, I'll defer all of this to
Mike when he returns: he expressed his preference, I suggested an
alternative to consider, and he can make the decision to ack or nack this
patch because he has a better understanding of that expectation from users
who use hugetlb pages.