bad changes to object building recently

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Oct 01 2019 - 13:27:40 EST

I don't know what has caused this but I am hitting two big problems
which are severely effecting my daily workflow:

1) Something is grinding like crazy when just building a single
object like "make path/to/foo.o", it looks like make is churning
on lots of work.

This used to be instantaneous and is essential for my build sanity
checking when I apply networking patches.

2) You no longer can do a "make path/to/foo.o" to force an object file
to be built outside of your current config. This is also essential
for my workflow, I can force build objects only enable'able on
other platforms and it works %95 of the time for basic build sanity
checking.

Someone please track down these problems and fix them.

Thank you.