Re: [patch for-5.3 0/4] revert immediate fallback to remote hugepages

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Sep 04 2019 - 16:43:48 EST

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This series reverts those reverts and attempts to propose a more sane
> default allocation strategy specifically for hugepages. Andrea
> acknowledges this is likely to fix the swap storms that he originally
> reported that resulted in the patches that removed __GFP_THISNODE from
> hugepage allocations.

There's no way we can try this for 5.3 even if looks ok. This is
"let's try this during the 5.4 merge window" material, and see how it
works.

But I'd love affected people to test this all on their loads and post
numbers, so that we have actual numbers for this series when we do try
to merge it.

Linus