Re: Aw: Re: BUG: devm_regulator_get returns EPROBE_DEFER (5.3-rc5..next-20190822) for bpi-r2/mt7623/mt7530

From: Mark Brown
Date: Fri Aug 23 2019 - 06:04:31 EST

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:28:44PM +0200, Frank Wunderlich wrote:

Please don't top post, reply in line with needed context. This allows
readers to readily follow the flow of conversation and understand what
you are talking about and also helps ensure that everything in the
discussion is being addressed.

> cfba5de9b99f drivers: Introduce device lookup variants by of_node
>
> this looks suspicios to me since the change is in the function which fails:

> struct regulator_dev *of_find_regulator_by_node(struct device_node *np)
> {
> struct device *dev;
>
> - dev = class_find_device(&regulator_class, NULL, np, of_node_match);
> + dev = class_find_device_by_of_node(&regulator_class, np);
>

> but i cannot revert this commit so i did it manually...but this does not seem to be the cause...still error 517, also a change in core.c is not the cause...

Can you run a git bisect to try to identify the commit that
caused things to fail?

> how can i check instantiation at runtime?

Look to see if there is a device driver bound to that device, or
check if the parent regulator is visible in /sys/class/regulators.
You'll also see a mesage printed out for each regulator as it
instantiates in the boot logs, you can check there too.

Please fix your mail client to word wrap within paragraphs at something
substantially less than 80 columns. Doing this makes your messages much
easier to read and reply to.