Re: Status of Subsystems

From: Joe Perches
Date: Tue Aug 20 2019 - 10:09:58 EST

On Tue, 2019-08-20 at 15:56 +0200, Sebastian Duda wrote:
> On 20.08.19 15:14, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 August 2019 15:05:51 Sebastian Duda wrote:
> > > Hello Pali,
> > >
> > > in my master thesis, I'm using the association of subsystems to
> > > maintainers/reviewers and its status given in the MAINTAINERS file.
> > > During the research I noticed that there are several subsystems without a
> > > status in the maintainers file. One of them is the subsystem `ALPS PS/2
> > > TOUCHPAD DRIVER` where you're mentioned as reviewer.
> > >
> > > Is it intended not to mention a status for your subsystems?
> > > What is the current status of these systems?
> > >
> > > Kind regards
> > > Sebastian Duda
> >
> > Hi Sebastian! ALPS PS/2 is a driver for ALPS touchpad. They can be
> > found on more laptops. And ALPS PS/2 itself is not separate subsystem.
> > It is just driver which is part of kernel input subsystem with mailing
> > list linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> Hi Pali,
>
> so the status of the files is inherited from the subsystem `INPUT
> MULTITOUCH (MT) PROTOCOL`?

Not really, no.

It's inherited from

MAINTAINERS-INPUT (KEYBOARD, MOUSE, JOYSTICK, TOUCHSCREEN) DRIVERS
MAINTAINERS-M: Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>
MAINTAINERS-L: linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MAINTAINERS-Q: http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/list/
MAINTAINERS-T: git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git
MAINTAINERS-S: Maintained
MAINTAINERS:F: drivers/input/
MAINTAINERS-F: include/linux/input.h
MAINTAINERS-F: include/uapi/linux/input.h
MAINTAINERS-F: include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
MAINTAINERS-F: include/linux/input/
MAINTAINERS-F: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/
MAINTAINERS-F: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serio/
MAINTAINERS-F: Documentation/input/

You could see this via

$ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f --sections drivers/input/mouse/alps.c
ALPS PS/2 TOUCHPAD DRIVER
R: Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx>
F: drivers/input/mouse/alps.*

INPUT (KEYBOARD, MOUSE, JOYSTICK, TOUCHSCREEN) DRIVERS
M: Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>
L: linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/list/
T: git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git
S: Maintained
F: drivers/input/
F: include/linux/input.h
F: include/uapi/linux/input.h
F: include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h
F: include/linux/input/
F: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/
F: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/serio/
F: Documentation/input/

THE REST
M: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
L: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Q: http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/LKML/list/
T: git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
S: Buried alive in reporters
F: *
F: */