Re: nouveau: System crashes with NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

From: James
Date: Mon Aug 19 2019 - 10:15:09 EST

On 2019-08-18 11:27 a.m., Ondrej Zary wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2019 14:50:33 Alex Dewar wrote:
Hi all,

I'm getting frequent system crashes (every few hours or so) and it seems
that the nouveau driver is causing the issue (dmesg output below). I see it
with both v5.2.8 and the v4.19 LTS kernel. Sometimes the system
completely freezes and sometimes seemingly just the nouveau driver goes
down. The screen freezes and colours stream across it. Often after I
reboot the BIOS logo is mangled too until the first modeset. The crash
seems to be happening in nv50_fb_intr() in nv50.c.

I'm not sure if this is related, but the system now often freezes on
suspend or resume since I switched from using the old (recently
abandoned) proprietry NVIDIA drivers, again both with 5.2 and 4.19
kernels. Blacklisting the nouveau driver doesn't seem to fix it however,
though I guess the graphics card could still be causing issues in some
other way? I never had problems with suspend and resume before.

Any suggestions about how I could debug this further?

Is it really a software problem (does it still work fine with proprietary
driver)?
These nVidia chips are known to fail and corrupt BIOS logo suggests that.

It's interesting the proprietary driver still seems to have support for series 6 and series 7 (just series 8 became unsupported).

I would try a live iso with a recent kernel.