Re: Warnings whilst building 5.2.0+

From: John Hubbard
Date: Wed Aug 07 2019 - 02:46:38 EST

On 8/6/19 11:30 PM, Chris Clayton wrote:
On 09/07/2019 12:39, Chris Clayton wrote:
On 09/07/2019 11:37, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
On 09.07.19 08:06, Chris Clayton wrote:
Can you check older versions, too ? Maybe also trying older gcc ?

I see the same warnings building linux-5.2.0 with gcc9. However, I don't see the warnings building linux-5.2.0 with the
the 20190705 of gcc8. So the warnings could result from an improvement (i.e. the problem was in the kernel, but
undiscovered by gcc8) or from a regression in gcc9.

From the discussion starting at https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=156401014023908, it would appear that the problem is
undiscovered by gcc8. Building a fresh pull of Linus' tree this morning (v5.3-rc3-282-g33920f1ec5bf), I see that the
warnings are still being emitted. Adding the participants in the other discussion to this one.

The warnings are still there because the fix has not been committed to any
tree yet.

If you could try out my proposed fix [1], and reply to that thread with perhaps a
Tested-by tag, that would help encourage the maintainers to accept it.

So far it hasn't made it to the top of their inboxes, but I'm hoping... :)

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20190731054627.5627-2-jhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx
("x86/boot: save fields explicitly, zero out everything else")

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA