Re: drm pull for v5.3-rc1

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Tue Aug 06 2019 - 03:38:38 EST

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 03:17:42PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The attached patch does add more lines than it removes, but in most
> cases it's actually a clear improvement.

Seems like no one took this up. Below is a version which I think is
slightly better by also moving the mm_walk structure initialization
into the helpers, with an outcome of just a handful of added lines.

What I also noticed doing that is that a lot of walk_page_range users
have a vma at hand and should probably use walk_vma_range.

But one thing I noticed is that we don't just have Thomas series that
touches this area, but also the "Generic page walk and ptdump" one
from Steven. In addition various users of the functionality are under
heavy development.

So I think we need to queue this up in an actual git tree that others
can pull in, similar to the hmm model.